View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:15 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 We are beta testers in disguise here. 

Post We are beta testers in disguise here.
I am an early adopter of Utilite, and was a happy owner of the Utilite Pro 1, HOWEVER, I'm beyond unhappy with the software side of things, the performance of Ubuntu on the Utilite is steadily declining, Android is now woefully out of date, there is little to no response from the team on anything! when I purchased the UtilitePro 1, I had heard that the company was working on a 14.04 image for the device, however here we are, on the brink of the NEXT LTS release of 16.04 and still... nothing, yes, I understand that 12.04 is still supported, yes, 5 years is a good lifespan, but lets be serious here, we own a doa product now.

I was excited to see the Utilite 2, however it is saddled with the exact same software! we have no updated images, I cannot even repurpose my utilite as a decent relay or SSH terminal anymore.

Thanks guys, I appreciate paying to be your beta tester... it's been fun.

Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:04 pm

Post Re: We are beta testers in disguise here.
This why I prefer a rolling release like arch

Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:15 pm

While I don't like to be ripped off, were they really obligated to provide these updates? We have essentially bought a computer that comes with some mostly free (in both senses) software. I can run the latest Gentoo on mine and, as pepedog says, Arch should work too. If the latest Ubuntu doesn't work then it's probably because the proprietary graphics drivers restrict us to relatively old kernel versions, 3.14 when I last checked. There isn't much CompuLab can do about this as it is Freescale that provides this software. More and more of the drivers have found their way into the mainline kernel since the Utilite was released and the upcoming 4.5 should see much better support for the graphics hardware. This will require changes in userspace too (Mesa, libdrm) but no doubt Ubuntu will have these before long.

What CompuLab should do is throw their weight behind this free software effort and do the relatively small task of providing a working device tree for the latest mainline kernel. The community will probably piece one together eventually but despite what I said above, I feel it's the least they can do.

Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:53 pm

Chewi wrote:

What CompuLab should do is throw their weight behind this free software effort and do the relatively small task of providing a working device tree for the latest mainline kernel. The community will probably piece one together eventually but despite what I said above, I feel it's the least they can do.

+1

Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]