View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Power connector "stability" 

Post Power connector "stability"
I think the power connector is kind of "sensitive" of outer force. The locking mechanism is great - but it it's twisted, the connector seems to lose contact with the unit by really easy. It seems that only the last 1 mm when plugging it in makes it connect.

I've been thinking about glueing the connector, or maybe cutting of some plastic on the connector to get it deeper inside, but it seems to me I wouldn't need to do this.

Is this by design, or is something wrong with the power connector or Utilite unit?

/Peter

Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:11 pm

Post Re: Power connector "stability"
The locking mechanism should keep proper contact between the cord and the unit.

Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:26 pm

The problem is though, that it spins out quite easy (if poking around with the cables), and it needs more or less no force get unplugged after that (since it's enough that it only pops out 1 mm or so).

First I was impressed with the design with the locking mechanism, but after a while I realized that it's alot more sensitive than all my other devices, since they usually require the plug to get out at least 5 mm or more to loose contact.

I'm just curious if the design is like this, or of there might be something wrong with either the power socket in the unit itself, or the plug on the power cord. If it is what to expect, I'll probably just glue the plug so I know it's safely connected.

/Peter

Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:55 pm

The connector should slip out easily if it is not locked in. The locking mechanism ensures the power cord does not slip out by accident.

You should always lock the power-cord inside your Utilite, especially if you are poking around with the cables.

Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:22 pm

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I understand that! However, since the locking mechanism is not that stable itself (it slides easily out of the "lock") it won't do much good without adding some glue to it. So, what has happened (twice) is that it slides out of the lock, and after that it just needs another light touch to loose the connection.

/Peter

Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:44 am
Site Admin

Hello Peter,

The locking mechanism has been specifically designed to ensure the power connector does not get disconnected and has been found to work properly on several CompuLab PC products and by many thousands of customers. It is possible that there is a mechanical fault in the unit you have. Please post close-up photographs of the DC connector opening and the DC cable.

---------------------------

Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:40 pm

It looks ok though, but I'll attach some photos later on.

Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:39 am

Just an update to this. I ended up cutting off about 2 mm of plastic on the connector. After doing that it sticks firmly and there is no risk that it looses connection easy anymore. I also applied some glue to be totally sure.

There was probably something wrong with either the connector, or the femalce connector on the board, but since it would be too expensive to return the unit to get it fixed I decided to fix it myself.

/Peter

Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:55 pm

I am experiencing the exact same issue. The connector is "weak". Although it's correctly locked, if you move the device or touch the cable, it usually loose power.

Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:26 pm

Yeah, I agree. There seems to be some kind of design problem here..

Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:05 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next