View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 utilite pro 4core gets hot 

Post utilite pro 4core gets hot
My Utility Pro Quadcore gets rather hot - the case is something in between 50 and 80 degree, depending on the system-load. Since i use the system as an always-on-desktop i'm a bit worried about a) how long the hardware will last with those temperatures inside and b) about the power-consumption of the system.

is there any chance to lower power-consumption at least when the system is doing nothing without shutting down or suspending?

tom

Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:45 pm

Post Re: utilite pro 4core gets hot
Hi Tom,

How hot is it really ?
cat /sys/devices/virtual/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp
Or try this small App:
viewtopic.php?f=68&t=1543&p=5609&hilit=perl&sid=a0dab6d1aeeaaf87bc259f370e0a4d7f#p5609
Normally when there's nothing to do the CPU switches to slower clock automatically and will cool down.

Bye,
Peter

Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:17 pm
Profile WWW

using cat /sys/devices/virtual/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp:

after 30 min idle: 63-66
after 10 min videoplayback: 72-74
after 5 min openssl -speed multi 5: 80

the system tends to get unstable around 78 to 80 degrees - but this is only reached when having more than 1 core busy for a few minutes.

maybe there is a chance to reduce the frequency of the processor?

Thomas

Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:14 pm

Please write to a CompuLab technician, I think above 60 degrees
when idle for longer time is not ok.
Mine gets about 65 when playing video.

Bye,
Peter

Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:36 pm
Profile WWW

I concur with Peba - I would not expect temperatures much above 65 Degrees C for an ambient temperature of 23 - 25 Degrees C - provided the Utilite has adequate seperation from other objects.

My Utilite's CPU temperature has not exceeded 66 Degrees C when running multiple applications as part of a torture test designed to stress the system to its max.

You might try the following commands in order to help determine if you have an OS issue:

Check CPU Throttle Governor using:

sudo cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor

The result should be ondemand. If it something else, this might be an issue.

Check CPU Speed using:

sudo watch -n 1 cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/cpuinfo_cur_freq

This will continuously display your processor speed in kHz at 1 second intervals.

For light loading, your CPU should operate at 396,000 kHz for most of the time. Occasionally, it will speed up to 792,000 kHz or 996,000 kHz.

For heavy loading it will spend a lot of time operating at 996,000 kHz.

Check system idle time using:

sudo cat /proc/uptime

The second number returned is the total system idle time in seconds for all 4 cores. For a lightly loaded system, this number should increase rapidly as you repeatedly check it. If not, I would be concerned.

To automate this testing, load and run the perl apps shown here:

viewtopic.php?f=68&t=1543&hilit=perl+app

viewtopic.php?f=68&t=1695

These apps are useful for monitoring Utilite's CPU performance.

If the above tests return acceptable results, there may be an issue with the mechanical contact between the CPU and heat spreader.

And,as Peba suggested do contact Compulab for a resolution.

Good luck - hasselbear

Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:31 am

Mine gets quite hot during a long compile. With 3 cores busy for 15? minutes I found temperature 55. It felt hotter after several hours of 4 cores busy for hours, but I did not know how to read temperature then. Mostly idle the temperature is 41-44. Load never drops below 1, but the CPU is near 100% idle.

Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:01 pm

The technical documentation states that it should be good between 0C and 45C but from what I'm seeing in this thread the operation at 45C ambient could be a bit ambitious.

Would this be a valid assumption? Is it only going to be viable in 'office' environments?

cheers,
Andrew

Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:06 am

At high load, my Utilite Pro operates with a junction temperature of approximately 40° C above ambient (65° C Junction for 25° C ambient). Others have also reported similar temperature values.

The maximum allowable junction temperature for the i.MX6 Extended Consumer version is 105° C. Assuming the high load rise of 40°C rise holds for elevated ambient temperatures, maximum junction temperature would not be reached until the ambient was 65° C.

So, the published 45° C maximum rating of Utilite should in theory result in a CPU junction temperature of not more than 85° C - which is 20° C below the maximum value.

Admittedly, Utilite would be quite warm for a 45° C ambient, but it should continue to function without any problem.

http://cache.freescale.com/files/32bit/ ... AN4579.pdf

http://cache.freescale.com/files/32bit/ ... pe=product

Last edited by hassellbear on Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:47 pm
Site Admin

gnoerz wrote:
using cat /sys/devices/virtual/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp:

after 30 min idle: 63-66
after 10 min videoplayback: 72-74
after 5 min openssl -speed multi 5: 80

the system tends to get unstable around 78 to 80 degrees - but this is only reached when having more than 1 core busy for a few minutes.

maybe there is a chance to reduce the frequency of the processor?

Thomas

Hello Thomas,

63C - 66C is quite high for 30 minutes idle operation. Typically, Utilite Pro CPU should be at below 50C for that use case. It is possible that this is caused by a HW issue with your unit. This also correlates with the instability you are observing at 80C. The i.MX6 CPU is rated up-to 105C and in our validation testing has proved to be stable during stress tests at up to 90C temperatures.

I suggest that you initiate RMA for the unit. In case you have any questions, you are welcome to send me a PM.

Best Regards,

---------------------------

Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:06 pm
Site Admin

andrewc wrote:
The technical documentation states that it should be good between 0C and 45C but from what I'm seeing in this thread the operation at 45C ambient could be a bit ambitious.

Would this be a valid assumption? Is it only going to be viable in 'office' environments?

cheers,
Andrew

Hello Andrew,

Utilite is built with embedded grade components and has been validated for stable operation at ambient temperatures of up-to 65C.

The thermal behavior described by gnoerz is most likely to be caused by faulty HW in a specific unit.

Best Regards,

---------------------------

Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next