View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:50 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Pictures of utilite Pro 

Post Pictures of utilite Pro
My Utilite Pro arrived today and I noticed a dull clicking sound when I took it out of the box and was turning it over. Needed to investigate further so I pulled the sides of the top case apart using nothing but my fingers and the heatsink proceeded to fall out. And here are the photo's I took.

This is the heatsink or thermal bridge between the cpu and top half of the case.

This is how it should have been attached, there are channels in the lid, once the heatsink is attached into the channels properly it is actually quite difficult to get out. I just think whoever assembled it hadn't pushed it in far enough and since the thermal pad hadn't heated up and become tacky the heatsink slipped off in transit. You might just be able to see the shadow where the pad once made contact with the aluminium.

Closeup of the CM-FX6 module

Looks like there is still quite a big gap between the case and the microsd slot so there is still a chance of losing a microsd card in there as has happened to another forum member.

Since I have access to the mSATA I'll be sure to take a backup before I power on the Utilite.

Please don't think I'm having a moan about QC, I was thrilled to see the workmanship on the insides of the little thing. Its amazing how many ports and connectors are crammed onto the back of this thing.

Well done compulab

Last edited by justin on Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:15 am

Post Re: Pictures of utilite Quad
Hello Justin,

Wow, those pictures answer a few questions.

I would watch the SOC temp rather closely at first until you are sure there is a good bond to the heatsink. My pro model peaks around 63 Deg. C when playing video at 25 Deg. C room temp. Others report a max of 65 Deg. C

Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:21 am

Post Re: Pictures of utilite Pro
Hello Justin,
Did you remove the mSATA and make a backup? I am just wondering because of the ability to upgrade to the mSATA. Have you been running the Utilite 24/7 since you received it?
Thanks

Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:34 pm

Yes I made a successful backup of the virgin mSATA before the first boot. I did try a 120gb mSATA but it failed to boot, this was before the updated uboot which fixed a few issues with unrecognized sd cards. I haven't tried the larger mSATA since.

I don't run my device 24/7 the most demanding things I've tried are high bitrate blu-ray MKV files. I saw temperatures of 65 degrees on the CPU but the machine has been very stable. Even better since the release of 12_04.

Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:21 pm

Was able to successfully try a few different mSATA cards, including Liteon 32GB, VisionTek 60GB, Muskin 120GB

Have been running my Utilite Pro like his for a few weeks, still no overheating problems.

Not suggesting anyone does this but if you want to take your SATA external and dont mind invalidating your warranty search ebay for "mini pci-e express to minicard extender adapter Card"

There are a few variations on this including an mSATA to SATA adapter but this was the only one I could find that wouldn't result in having to file the case to keep the lid on.

Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:27 am

Hi Justin,

Thanks for the overview & shots - really useful information.

Would it be possible to describe how exactly you removed the cover of the utilite? The black metal lid seems to be clipped inside the white plastic bottom on my model without the possibility of removing it wiithout the use of a screwdriver, etc.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:58 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]