View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:39 am

Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Boot from SD card - status update 

Post Re: Boot from SD card - status update
Hi there,
I'm running also an utilite standard - so booting from sd card is really crucial. But this seems to be a game of hazard. I tried to use the utilite with volumio - this started fine but after some two or three reboots the board didn't start at all. You have to pull of the electric plug over and over again and after some ten or twenty retries, you might be lucky to get the board booting once! A reboot and you start from the beginning!
The I tried to use the actual ubuntu image: this is fully broken: after some time the board freezes, after that - guess - we are at the beginning. Sometimes the board is booting, most of the times it doesn't.
Then I read I some forums that arch linux should run rather stable on the utilite. So, I tried to install arch linux. After hours I finally succeeded in booting arch linux via serial console: Booted without sd card, inserted sd card at uboot prompt and a "boot"-command was successfull. Made a "pacman -Syu", rebooted and got the well known "Card did not respond to voltage select!" - Stuck again!
If I didn't pay any money for this, I could laugh about this, but more and more this becomes a very expensive joke, the time I already wasted with this SoC not brought to account.
Oh yes: I already different sd cards: SanDisk Ultra 8Gb Class 10, SP 8GB Class4 and Transcend 8GB Class4.
Is there any help by utilite support or should I start the RMA process?
cheers
fish

Update: Finally I succeeded to get the system running with that Transcend 8GB Class 4 card.
So, I do think, that it would be a good idea for the guys at utilite to publish a list of compatible sd cards, best with some faster ones than class 4 cards.

Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:52 pm

Just for the record:
For me Sandisk Ultra 8GB Micro SDHC card has never failed on booting with several Compulab official Ubuntu or Android images.

Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:43 pm

Fish, 2kanaa,

Have you issued the following in U-boot prompt before trying to access the SD card?

Code:
mmc dev 2
mmc rescan

Can you provide a boot log & U-boot environment settings (serial console required)?

Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:50 am

2 x sorry Alex,

I did not noticed your question before, and I've been missing the null modem cable which is needed for serial console connection. However, the sd-card that I mentioned has proven to work with new android images during spring/summer (I have made two updates since the original comment).

Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:50 pm

Well, if we want to analyze the cause of your SD card issues, we must see serial console output and use u-boot prompt, otherwize there's no way to know what is actually happening.

Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:05 am

Actually I've just ordered a null modem cable to get to know the Utilite device more deeper way.

BUT as I said, I have not had any kind of problem with booting with my SD card so far. One idea in some past thread (could not find it right now) was to make a list of fully functional SD cards on Utilte, but I do not know, if that is a relevant way to think about/resolve these SD card problems at all (is there really that kind of technical differences between manufactures etc.).

Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:03 pm

2kanaa, there are currently no SD cards have been verified as "non-operational with utilite".
There were some u-boot issues in the past, which cause u-boot to hang with certain SD cards, but these issues have been resolved a long time ago with a u-boot update, currently shipped utilites do not have this issue.

Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:29 am

Yes, that's what I thought too.

Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:27 pm

I'm afraid the boot problem is not over for me. The Utilite has become almost useless and constantly requires several attempts to boot. My Utilite was purchased in June 2014. In view of the previous comments ie the boot process is no longer a problem, should I consider my Utilite faulty? Ps I have updated with ver1.2 of u-boot. Any advice would be appreciated .
Thank you

Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:33 pm

PhilB wrote:
I'm afraid the boot problem is not over for me. The Utilite has become almost useless and constantly requires several attempts to boot. My Utilite was purchased in June 2014. In view of the previous comments ie the boot process is no longer a problem, should I consider my Utilite faulty? Ps I have updated with ver1.2 of u-boot. Any advice would be appreciated .
Thank you

This sounds like an issue caused by a corrupt root file-system, please note that when the root file system resides on an SD card, even a single non-proper system shutdown might cause file system corruption, and result in issues such as you reply.

I would suggest "starting from scratch", by following the instructions here:
http://www.utilite-computer.com/wiki/in ... and_Update.

Additionally it would be helpful if you could provide debug logs (from the serial console), including U-boot log of the issues you experience.

Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next