View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:53 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 network emulation not working 

Post Re: network emulation not working
Well, I have to say that I am (was) a bit surprised, but positively: CompuLab upstreamed all their U-Boot bits. That surpasses my expectation on the support of an ARM device.

Setting up a mainline kernel gets easier too: for instance ArchLinux provides a prebuild mainline kernel. So all you have to do is (1) update U-Boot using the nice installer script of CompuLab, (2) prepare/unpack the rootfs and install the kernel (chroot or manually), and (3) place a small U-Boot config script in /boot. I think that's quite doable. The same will almost surely apply to Ubuntu/Debian/... one day; once they ship a "newer" kernel.

The major issue here is that the mainline kernel does not support an essential feature neccessary for the scenario in question. And the old kernel(s)/software is, well, buggy.
Furthermore, it doesn't get easier to use them but harder. One example is systemd and another is to obtain an old version of an (cross-)compiler to build the kernel.

Cheers,
Christopher

Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:41 pm

Post Re: network emulation not working
chris wrote:

Setting up a mainline kernel gets easier too: for instance ArchLinux provides a prebuild mainline kernel. So all you have to do is (1) update U-Boot using the nice installer script of CompuLab, (2) prepare/unpack the rootfs and install the kernel (chroot or manually), and (3) place a small U-Boot config script in /boot. I think that's quite doable. The same will almost surely apply to Ubuntu/Debian/... one day; once they ship a "newer" kernel.

This is what I've tried to build up here, but without a graphical user environment. Honestly I haven't paid much attention to this topic, but at least for the utilite (and the CuBux-i, which share the same SoC) it might be worth to include a basic setup. @chris where can I find more information about the requirement necessary to get for instance X11 up and running on these devices (blobs, vendor libraries, etc. ) (i.e. I'm trying to avoid reverse-engineering https://github.com/igorpecovnik/lib).

Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2