View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun May 19, 2019 6:25 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 utilite-1 OTG doesn't work as USB-peripheral 

Post utilite-1 OTG doesn't work as USB-peripheral
The utilite-1 device isn't recognized as peripheral device if connected to the host computer via OTG port.

I've loaded g_ether and g_serial on the utilite device but none of them worked.
I've tested it with both kernels (3.0.35 and 3.10).

/proc/driver/*udc on uitlite reports the state "a_idle".
But I've inserted a USB micro-b plug into the OTG receptacle of the utilite device, so it has to behave as a B-Device not as an A-Device.

Any sugesstions?

Regards,
Rupert

Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:22 am

Post Re: utilite-1 OTG doesn't work as USB-peripheral
Hi Rupert,

I can tell you that both peripheral and host mode work fine with Linux 4.7 and 4.8-rc5 on the Utilite Pro but I don't have /proc/driver/*udc available. So most probably Linux (i.e. upstream) uses another or improved otg driver.

What you might want to try:
1) (the obvious) make sure your cable works (try it with another otg device/use another cable),

2) plug your device in *after* your OS is completely up & running. The bootloader configures the otg controller in host only mode. There is a chance that the OS driver does only switch the role on a plug event.

2) make sure dual role/otg is enabled in the kernel config as well as the device tree (in the config most otg controllers can be fixed to either host or peripheral mode). In the device tree there should be a "dr_mode" property (see e.g. here https://github.com/vcspth/linux/blob/ut ... 6.dts#L280 ).

3) try to force the controller into peripheral mode (be cautious, this may damage your hardware). Some otg drivers allow this via proc/sysfs.

4) Use an upstream kernel if you can go without DVI/Sound/Wifi/Bt/gpu acceleration/VPU support.
EDIT: 4) is only applicable if you have the Utilite Pro; for the other models there is no upstream support, yet (or let's say its very hackish).

Good luck!
Christopher

Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:26 pm

I got it to work fairly easily with a mainline(ish) 4.8.16 kernel. I just had to disable CONFIG_USB_OTG_WHITELIST. I now have a 64GB LVM volume served up as an external drive for my Wii U. :D

Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:03 pm

I've got basically the same Problem as described above. Unfortunately chris' solutions don't help me/aren't suitable for me.

Has anyone other suggestions?

Regarding what chewi wrote: Isn't CONFIG_USB_OTG_WHITELIST just restricting which devices are allowed to be a peripheral, when the utilite is acting as host? So how does it influence wether the utilite is recognized as peripheral itself or not? I'm very curios about that :)

I'm grateful for any piece of information, that is helping.

Regards
Mari

Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:57 pm

Sorry, must have missed this. You've probably solved this or given up by now but I was also confused by the CONFIG_USB_OTG_WHITELIST option. I didn't expect it to help but it did.

Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:38 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]