View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun May 19, 2019 6:29 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Standard u-boot environment 

Post Standard u-boot environment
Hello,

Does anyone happen to have a clean unmodified copy of the "default" u-boot environment for the Utilite Pro?

I must confess mine is tweaked to something beyond recognition - and it's time for a "fresh" start...

:shock: :oops:

Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:47 am

Post Re: Standard u-boot environment
Which uboot version? I will post what I have if you like, but if you do this WITHOUT saveenv it will be ok, it won't overwrite-
Code:
env default -a
printenv
reset

Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:13 pm

*thumbs up*

Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:12 pm

Maybe someone can help me?

I tried to "update" my u-boot env like this: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1923&start=20

I did it WITHOUT saveenv!

If I now boot my Utilite Pro only the headline from U-Boot with the version number is showing nothing else, just stuck there.

Does anyone know, how to fix this?

Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:59 pm

Hi,

duri wrote:
Maybe someone can help me?

I tried to "update" my u-boot env like this: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1923&start=20

I did it WITHOUT saveenv!

How have you "updated" your U-Boot env exactly? Have you done it with a U-Boot prompt or a Linux one? According to your link it looks like you executed the fw_setenv command in a Linux shell. But saveenv is a U-Boot command; i.e. you had to interrupt the bootloader before starting Linux and type in all of the new env by hand.
Unlike the U-Boot way, the Linux way via fw_setenv does not "require" something like saveenv. The environment is written directly.

duri wrote:
If I now boot my Utilite Pro only the headline from U-Boot with the version number is showing nothing else, just stuck there.

Does anyone know, how to fix this?

I *guess* you used fw_setenv but you had not configured it correctly. You may have overwritten the U-Boot partition on the internal flash itself instead of the U-Boot *env* partition. In fact, for most boards the environment is saved on the first (#0) partition but on the Utilite it is stored on the second one (and the first one is the U-Boot parition itself). Thus, it is reasonable to believe that fw_setenv writes to the first partition if not defined otherwise in /etc/fw_env.config.

You may solve this by booting from a mmc card and executing the firmare updater. It can be downloaded here: http://utilite-computer.com/download/ut ... er.tar.bz2 . For preparing the mmc card it might be possible to use the installer image: http://www.compulab.co.il/utilite-compu ... _Installer . But I'm not sure if it comes with an bootloader installed on the mmc card (which is essential). If not you have to flash a proper bootloader to the mmc card yourself. A how-to is written up here http://compulab.co.il/utilite-computer/ ... t_firmware (unfortunately, it requires some compile/linux skills).

Good luck,
Christopher

Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:51 pm

Thank you very much for your answer.
I will try the fix with the boot updater. Maybe you have seen I also willing to give away my Utilite Pro to someone with better skills. For me the Utilite Pro was just a big waste of time and money :(

P.S. If the compulab installer doesn't have the bootloader includes, maybe someone can provide a prepared image how does include the bootloader.

EDIT: I just found this: http://compulab.co.il/workspace/mediawi ... are_Update

http://compulab.co.il/utilite-computer/ ... oot_Update
maybe it helps too. Will try again

EDIT again: I tried and failed. So I'm give my Utilite Pro away for free to someone who knows how to fix it. Please contact me if you interested.

best regards
duri

Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:31 am

Hi,
duri wrote:
EDIT again: I tried and failed. So I'm give my Utilite Pro away for free to someone who knows how to fix it. Please contact me if you interested.

These are bad news :-(. You mentioned before that a version line is printed. Can you provide the exact string (or, if it is too long, a reasonable prefix/beginning of it)? It would help to identify in which state U-Boot gets stuck. Does something change if the sd card is plugged in?

Before your Utilite ends up in a dark place for the remainder of its existence, I would take it as a dev board to push upstream support (I am not willing to do every experiment with my own device because I don't want it to die). But if someone has a better use case I will stand back. In the case no one else wants it, what is the best way to contact you? Forum PM?

Cheers,
Christopher

Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:09 am

I did shot a photo of the boot screen. That's all was I can see. A SD Card in the slot doesn't change anything. :oops:

Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:40 pm

Hi,

ok so the first stage u-boot (spl) seems to run fine because the hdmi console is activated by the second state/"normal" u-boot. It remains the question whether the unit actually boots from the sdcard in the first place. If the card has been setup correctly at least the first stage/spl should be loaded from the sdcard.

So the question is what the spl you put on the sdcard is supposed to do. The latest version released by CompuLab should boot the second stage from the sdcard, too. But according to your photo the u-boot that is actually booted is older. How did you finally created the sdcard?

Can you attach a serial cable? It is initialized eralier and it should print from where the second stage will be loaded (maybe even from there the spl has been loaded).

Cheers,
Christopher

Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:01 pm

Hello Christopher

I tried 3 different image on my sd card and none seem to work. The utilite doesn't even try to read (can't see the sd slot activity led blinking).
So it's bricked for me. Game over.

Thanks for your help and effort anyway.

Best regards

Duri

Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]