View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:23 pm

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 [Solved] Utilite Pro very unstable on high load 

Post Re: Utilite Pro very unstable on high load
BTW, I don't really think that this problem is GCC related.

I ran on the same system the "stress" command (stress -c 8 -i 4 -m 2 -t 10m) and it also crashed in the same way (it resisted between 1 and 7 minutes).

As I was cooling the unit with a fan, the CPU temperature stood around 55°.

I wonder if I have a faulty unit...?

Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:49 pm

Hi,

GCC version issue is related to the compiled kernel binary, but not user space failures during compilation.

We used to test recently various configuratons of the core module with the stress utility. Well, so far no failures observed.

Dmitry

Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:44 am

Sometimes the computer restarts when some multitasking is going on. Last time I started the sterss utility, everything went well (it was running for 30min), until I started Aisleriot Solitaire. Then it crashed immediately. Another occasion, it restarted right after the stress utility finished.

This was on a clean install (ubuntu+6.1kernel+updates) again, with only the stress utility installed.

As nobody experienced similar problems, I wonder if this is a hardware fault...?

Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:26 pm

OK, it seems I found the source of my problem: I'm afraid the power adapter I have is faulty. I realized this when the Utilite began crashing as I attached my phone to recharge.
I replaced the power adapter with a LiPO battery (I intended to use the Utilite as an embedded device anyway) and there weren't anymore crashes.
The power used by the Utilite isn't over the 8W (high load), as I measured from the battery usage (1650mAh used in around 2h30).

I wonder how can I get a new power adapter for the Utilite?

Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:53 pm

I would suggest contacting the appropriate sales office listed in the following link.

http://compulab.co.il/support/sales-contacts/

You might also consider purchasing the Utilite Y Cable and connecting it to another power supply. I am using a Y-cable and a 3 Amp, 12 VDC supply with good results.

http://www.amazon.com/Y-DC-cable-CompuL ... ab+y+cable

Good Luck

Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:42 pm

In my own case, I only had one apparent "lock-up" and noticed that my Utilite Pro was somewhat hot. I wasn't using GCC, just browsing and trying to install some packages. I also noticed that this thing will get hot even by staying idle.

I'm using its supplied power unit, have USB keyboard and mouse connected, LAN cable (to Gigabit hub) and HDMI with HDMI-to-VGA converter. My ambient temperature is around 22 C.

My solution was to put laptop cooling pad behind it with fan set to max, now the unit is just a bit warm. My guess is that HDMI with 1920x1080 resolution is stressing the unit, or the cooling solution (or maybe thermal design of the box) is insufficient.

Other than that, the unit has been quite stable for me for the couple of days that I had it.

Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:35 pm

The Utilite can get really hot. I think it's normal that the core temperature runs at 65°C, but some reported that the system is stable at higher temperatures, too. Check the other threads in the forum.

As a matter of fact, the cover of the housing is cooling the CPU, that's why it gets also hot.

Anyway, I think that it's a good idea to cool the Utilite. As I said in a previous post, I use a fan from an old computer, it keeps the CPU temperature at 50-52°.

BTW, to check the CPU temperature:
Code:
sudo cat /sys/devices/virtual/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp

Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:37 pm

Post Re: [Solved] Utilite Pro very unstable on high load
A new kernel stabilization release 6.2 is available here:

git://gitorious.org/utilite/utilite.git

Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:34 am
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2