View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 23, 2019 7:04 pm

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 [Solved] Utilite Pro very unstable on high load 

Post [Solved] Utilite Pro very unstable on high load
[TL;DR] My Utilite was restarting frequently on high load (several processes running). Finally I realized that it was a faulty power supply that couldn't output enough power. Now I'm waiting for a new power supply from Utilite :)
------------------------
Hi,
I recently bought a Utilite Pro computer, and it's very unstable since the beginning.
The problem is that it gets resetting as I begin to stress the CPU. For example a parallel compilation (make -j4) systematically crashes the system in less than 2 minutes. On lower loads (I ran the same make command without multithreading) the system ran well. The restarts occur in graphical mode and in text mode too.
I reinstalled everything: clean install of the latest Ubuntu 12.04.3 (january 27 version) with the 6.1 kernel. I also updated the U-Boot. I didn't make any important modifications on the system. The SSD was checked for errors (fsck), and it's OK.
As I was afraid that it was caused by the warm processor, I also put a fan over the Utilite, which kept the temperature below 52°C.
But nothing helped.
Any help would be appreciated!

P.S. I would like to attach the dmesg and crash log files, but it seems that no extension is allowed in this forum...

Last edited by kbarni on Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:16 am

Post Re: Utilite Pro very unstable on high load
Same problem here, never resolved:

viewtopic.php?f=64&t=1455

Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:18 pm

Thanks for the link.

I didn't load-test my Utilite otherwise yet - first I have to compile my programs, so I don't know if it's a problem with GCC or a general instability.

Anyway, the difference is that I don't get any error message, the Utilite reboots without warning (...leaving some files corrupt, so it's very difficult to resume the compilation).

So I'm not sure that it's the same problem, but they might be related.

Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:38 pm

Those sudden reboots make me wonder. It's probably not this if you didn't build the kernel yourself but GCC 4.8.0 to 4.8.2 (and 4.9.0?) builds highly unstable ARM kernels. I encountered this on a DreamPlug and it took me a while to figure out what the culprit was.

Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:55 pm

I have had the same problems (well, at least the problem described in the link to another thread). A simple md5sum loop on a huge file will sometimes return something different. Utilite is unstable at 1.2GHz. Use arm_freq=1000 on kernel cmdline.

Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:57 pm

kbarni wrote:
Hi,
I recently bought a Utilite Pro computer, and it's very unstable since the beginning.
The problem is that it gets resetting as I begin to stress the CPU. For example a parallel compilation (make -j4) systematically crashes the system in less than 2 minutes. On lower loads (I ran the same make command without multithreading) the system ran well. The restarts occur in graphical mode and in text mode too.
I reinstalled everything: clean install of the latest Ubuntu 12.04.3 (january 27 version) with the 6.1 kernel. I also updated the U-Boot.

We would like to reproduce the issue.
Please, can you specify the U-Boot version and the installed build tools.

Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:11 pm

Chewi wrote:
Those sudden reboots make me wonder. It's probably not this if you didn't build the kernel yourself but GCC 4.8.0 to 4.8.2 (and 4.9.0?) builds highly unstable ARM kernels. I encountered this on a DreamPlug and it took me a while to figure out what the culprit was.

Did you try to use older GCC versions?

Do you aware of mainline patch:

commit 455bd4c "ARM: 7668/1: fix memset-related crashes caused by recent GCC (4.7.2) optimizations"

ported to IMX.6 kernel branch imx_3.0.35_4.1.0 as

commit 7a723d6 "ARM: 7668/1: fix memset-related crashes caused by recent GCC (4.7.2) optimizations"

Can you apply this fix and check if it resolves the issue?

Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:23 pm

I don't think that was it but I didn't experience this on a Utilite anyway. I just mentioned it because I think it was an ARM-wide problem. It was GCC bug #58854. I currently use 4.8.3, which works fine.

Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:27 pm

lifshitz wrote:
We would like to reproduce the issue.
Please, can you specify the U-Boot version and the installed build tools.

I reinstalled everything once again.
So I have a clean install from utilite_ubuntu-12.04.3_2014-1-27.tar.bz2. Then I installed the kernel 3.0.35-cm-fx6-6.1.
I have the U-Boot version 2014.04-cm-fx6-1.2 (Aug 24 2014)
I updated all the packages from the Ubuntu standard repositories.
The CPU governor is ondemand with max frequency of 1GHz.

There are no modifications on the Utilite: I only attached ethernet, a screen (HDMI), a USB mouse and keyboard.

I have GCC/G++ version 4.6.3, make 3.81, cmake 2.8.7.

To eliminate the possibility of overheating, I put a fan on the Utilite, which kept the temperature under 50°

This time I tried to build OpenCV (source from Github). The command "make -j4" crashed the computer in less than 20 seconds. With the normal "make" it got until 20%, than it crashed.

As previously, the crash means that Utilite reboots without any warning. I don't get any crash logs from GCC.

Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:15 pm

BTW, I don't really think that this problem is GCC related.

I ran on the same system the "stress" command (stress -c 8 -i 4 -m 2 -t 10m) and it also crashed in the same way (it resisted between 1 and 7 minutes).

As I was cooling the unit with a fan, the CPU temperature stood around 55°.

I wonder if I have a faulty unit...?

Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next