View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 ChromeOS please! 

Post ChromeOS please!
It'll be great when the Utilite ships also with ChromeOS as operating system!

I love my Chromebox and Chromebooks! With ChromeOS I can use the power of the web without barriers! But the price and availability of the Samsung Chromebox is bad...

Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:18 pm

Post Re: ChromeOS please!
You can do much more in Ubuntu than in Chrome- AND you can do everything you can do with Chrome OS. I just don't understand why you want Chrome OS. Besides, that would take a big deal with Google, it's just not worth the hassle + money.
Better off getting Google Chrome Web browser.

Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:03 am

I agree. Except OS would be arch

Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:29 am

Now that I think of it, a Chromium OS port is possible, if that's you cup of tea. Not the exact same as Chrome OS, but very, very, very close.

Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:00 am

Boxtropica, thanks for your reply.
Indeed the difference between Ubuntu and ChromeOS is that you can do more on Ubuntu. But I don't want to spend my time in an operating system, I want to spend my time online. All I have to do or I can do offline bothers me. So an operating system that gives me direct access to a browser is the perfect solution for me.
I also see it from an educational perspective where we don't want our students to be bothered by the operating system instead of learning online.

Do you know if we've also the 8 seconds login with a ChromiumOS port? And must we deal with manually updating the operating system or any protection software with Chromium?

Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:48 am

Being able to do "more" is in the eye of the end user. I would be buying one of these things right now, for an elderly friend who only plays Facebook games & emails her family, but there isn't a good flash player available for ARM Linux; Gnash doesn't cut it.

There is no ARM Linux version of Google Chrome (the x86 versions now include a custom flash version, PepperFlash). Only the Samsung Chromebook has a working PepperFlash on ARM, via ChromeOS.

If you had PepperFlash working in any browser, or a ChromeOS option available, you'd need another factory.

We, more technically inclined, generally hate flash; but it's still required for low-end-users, and casual gamers, and will be for many more years.

Lance

Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]