View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:33 am

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Utilite Linux image and installation instructions 
Site Admin

Post Re: Utilite Linux image and installation instructions
It has been our experience that variations in disk geometry between different SD cards (in some cases there are differences even between cards of the same model from the same vendor) can cause file system corruptions when an image prepared for one SD card is flashed onto another. That is the main reason we are not using *.img for Utilite installations.

We are aware of the difficulties around the current installation procedure and we are currently working on an image installer that would both support an easy installation process and ensure file-system integrity.

---------------------------

Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:26 pm

As a proud owner of my recently recieved Utilite Pro, I visited the support forums to make sure that I was getting the most from my new device. Following the advice I found on the Utilite support forums provided by your technical support team at http://www.utilite-computer.com/wiki/in ... and_Update"
to download and reinstall a newer operating system image, I have managed to experience a failure of the simplest method presented, the deployment (installation) script for internal SSD. I would like to be able to recreate and present to you the error that I observed but the device no longer boots. Could you let me know when we might expect to have a working image to reinstall an operating system on your hardware and clearer instructions for doing so? :?

Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:54 am

Hi,

Here is a procedure:

On Desktop
1) Download the image and the scipt to your desktop:
# cd ~/Downloads
# wget "http://utilite-computer.com/download/utilite/ubuntu/utilite_ubuntu-12.04.3_2013-12-11.tar.bz2"
# wget "http://trimslice.com/download/utilite/tools/dep-procedure.sh"
2) Create an installation SD-card on the desktop:
# sudo SD=/dev/sde ROOTFS_IMAGE=~/Downloads/utilite_ubuntu-12.04.3_2013-12-11.tar.bz2 ~/Downloads/dep-procedure.sh
NOTE: /dev/sde is just an example, your card can have another name.

On Utilite
3) Boot Up from the created SD-card.
4) Use USB flash disk or any other removable media to copy the downloaded Utilite Ubuntu image and the script onto Utilite.
5) Install the Uduntu image on the internal SSD:
# sudo SSD=/dev/sda ROOTFS_IMAGE=~/Downloads/utilite_ubuntu-12.04.3_2013-12-11.tar.bz2 ~/Downloads/dep-procedure.sh

6) After installation has completed, shutdown and remove the SD-card.

Regards,
Valentin.

Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:02 pm

Being a bit of a newbie to posting on forums, I think I may have posted my earlier question in the wrong place.

Can you advise if the new version of Ubuntu for the Utilite:

cl-installer_utilite-2_kernel-5.2_2014-19-01.img.xz
md5: e55e11444ff175448cb017a63eb20689

supports NTFS USB drives?

Cheers,

Ron.

Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:43 pm

Hi,
I had a problem with the install script stopping when running fdisk. I found the solution however: the script isn't compatible with gnu-fdisk, because the commands are slightly different (no partition number can be specified when creating a partition), and gnu-fdisk will not accept commands from a pipe, anyway.

You may want to add a check for the right fdisk version in the script and/or add a warning in the wiki. The working fdisk is in the "util-linux" package in Debian.

Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:40 am

Hi,

I try to set up an SD Card for an Utilite Standart. My SD Card is plugged in a microSD to USB Connector. In GParted the SD Card is /dev/sdb/

When I am using the script with:
sudo SD=/dev/sdb/ ROOTFS_IMAGE=~/utilite_ubuntu-12.04.3_2014-1-27.tar.bz2 ~/dep-procedure.sh
I get the message:
/dev/sdb/ is not a block device

I also get errors with trying it manually because then he don`t find /dev/sdb1/ when I am using "hdparm -z ${BOOT_MEDIA}"

Should the SD Card be formatted or unallocated? What else can I try?

Best regards
Kevin

Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:12 pm

Why SD=/dev/sdb/ and not SD=/dev/sdb

Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:23 pm

Thanks,
that solved the problem. I got the extra / while using the tab key.

Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:49 pm

Love the tab key, saves so much typing, so I can understand

Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:27 pm

I am currently unable to boot to SDcard or SSD. Nor am I able to get any response from Null Modem serial connection. Is there a reset or special uber l33t way to set factory values again? I installed all of the updates for Ubuntu via ssh serial with errors along the way. Some 3D video GPU error, upgrades wanted to install a ubuntu img or kernal and some pipe error came up, once done, and rebooted. Nothing. Brick. Any and all help welcome.

WOPR73

Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next