View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:31 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Problems with OS Installation 

Post Problems with OS Installation
At some point my trimslice stopped booting. I'm not sure how that happened, because I was always connecting to it over ssh and it worked fine. About two weeks ago it stopped booting. I decided to re-install OS based on instructions on the web-site. I used Disk Imager to write an image on my SD card. When it was done I inserted it facing to the front but nothing happened. When I inserted SD card back in laptop I've error message showed up say that it must be formatted. I thought may be something went wrong when I was writing image and decided repeat the steps. I did format the card and noticed that size is 3.6GB instead of 16Gb which were before I wrote image. I couldn't select any other size. I couldn't write an image second time by means of the same Disk Imager or flashnul because there were no enough space. So now I have TrimSlice which is not working (I can't even type anything it displays black screen with white square as for one character at the top) and SD card which is useless because I can't use it for installation and which size got reduced and now 4 times less. I don't have micro sd to load latest uboot software but even before I will do it, can anyone explain what happened with SD card after you write an image on it? Why size of the card become the same as image size? Uboot image is 20 mb - would I have 20 mb micro sd card after I will write image on it as well??? I'm really looking for a help here.

Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:35 am
Site Admin

Post Re: Problems with OS Installation
When the SD card is flashed with the installation image, it is re-partitioned according to the image size. I have seen this in MS Windows which does show that the total size of the SD card is the same as the size of our image. The simplest solution is to erase all partitions on the SD card, that will restore the actual size of the card. Additionally, if you're using a MS Windows PC, it is normal that the PC recognizes the flashed SD card as "not formatted", since it does not contain a valid file system. I am not really sure how a Linux PC will see the SD card.
I suggest that you perform the following procedures:
(a) Erase the SD card partitions.
(b) Check the MD5 sum of the installation image (sometimes the download is corrupted).
(c) Re-flash the SD card and try the installation again.
Important note: the installation procedure requires a display. Sometimes there are issues with unsupported resolutions. What type of display do you use?

If you do not get the installation to work, it would be most helpful to connect the Trim-Slice unit to a serial console via the RS232 port. For that you will need a PC with a RS232 port (or a USB-to-serial adapter), a null modem cable and the RS232 adapter cable supplied with the Trim-Slice. Required serial port settings are: 115200, 1N8, no flow-control. If you manage to connect the unit to a console, please post the output that you get during installation attempts.

---------------------------

Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]