View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:17 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Manual Debian installation 

Post Manual Debian installation
I have written basic instructions on how to install Debian on an SD card here:
http://wiki.debian.org/TrimSlice
I'd be happy to hear any feedback on this.

This simply uses the kernel provided by the Ubuntu installation. I'll look into building custom kernels next.

Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:39 pm

Post Re: Manual Debian installation
if you want to use a kernel that you have on the sdcard, in your uboot commands, you would simply use

ext2load mmc 0:1 4080000 /boot/uImage

(for example)

Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:13 am

Will it be possible to install debian from a usb stick (netinst) on the internal hdd?

Mon May 16, 2011 3:59 pm

stuxnet wrote:
Will it be possible to install debian from a usb stick (netinst) on the internal hdd?

Probably yes.

One possible obstacle is that I am not sure that the uboot that ships with the TrimSlice will boot from a USB stick without user interaction. Maybe someone knows this?

Then, we need a Debian kernel package that works with the TrimSlice and has video support. I am working on this. Hopefully, this works without any userspace interaction, in which case the standard Debian installer initrd would just work.

Sat May 21, 2011 5:09 pm

falk wrote:
stuxnet wrote:

Probably yes.

One possible obstacle is that I am not sure that the uboot that ships with the TrimSlice will boot from a USB stick without user interaction. Maybe someone knows this?

Then, we need a Debian kernel package that works with the TrimSlice and has video support. I am working on this. Hopefully, this works without any userspace interaction, in which case the standard Debian installer initrd would just work.

If I have it correct, Ubuntu is supposed to run out of the box, already installed, right??? If not what OS runs off TS at this point?

Sat May 21, 2011 8:03 pm

Yeah, Ubuntu 10.10 is preinstalled, at least on the SSD version of the Trim Slice. 2 "proprietary" drivers in use says Additional Drivers. Both claim to have free licenses though, and both are sound-oriented.

Sat May 28, 2011 12:30 am
Profile WWW

Would it be a good idea to try the instructions posted at the link using the 1.01 kernel as described here, http://www.trimslice.com/wiki/index.php ... nux_Kernel .

In doing so, could I expect to get all the features described, here, http://trimslice.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Features .

This might sound like a stupid question, but I am wondering if attempting the above is likely to work. I've never compiled a kernel before but I'm willing to have a crack at it if there is a likelihood of success.

Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:25 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]