View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:23 am

Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Anyone have Debian Running on a Trimslice Currently? 

Post Anyone have Debian Running on a Trimslice Currently?
I really like the design/specs of the Trimslice. I really want to use Debian on it...

If anyone around has gotten Debian installed on the device recently can you update the Debian wiki or post instructions here on how to go about getting it installed? I've posted on the Debian forums and posted messages to the Debian ARM list with no responses.

My install thread here has just gone in circles thus far.

~Jeff

Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:49 pm

Post Re: Anyone have Debian Running on a Trimslice Currently?
I'm currently running Debian on mine. I just followed the instructions posted on the Debian wiki, with a couple of minor changes.

I only had a couple of issues, the first was caused by using the wrong serial port tty device with screen (I'm using a 6 year old PC as a Debian server, which the TrimSlice will be replacing very soon).

The second issue was an error (warning) using the version of multistrap that ships with Squeeze. I had to install the version included in the backports from unstable. Alternatively I could've installed a fresh Debian unstable (in a VM) to run multistrap.

The reason I had to adjust the instructions, is because my TrimSlice is the only computer I have with a SD card reader, so I initially tried (unsuccessfully) to run multistrap on the TrimSlice using Ubuntu, but resorted to using netcat and dd to copy the SD card to my PC to do the multistrap part. I could've avoided that part if I'd created a smaller image and run resize2fs after copying it onto the SD card.

I also just copied the 2 files from /boot on the TrimSlice Ubuntu installation to the new Debian root to avoid having to mess around with Uboot mkimage.

I still haven't managed to work out how to change the BCT odmdata to give me more system memory. Since I'm not using the video capabilities, having 128MB allocated to the video hardware is significant overkill!

~ Dom

Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:24 pm

I was trying to load Debian from an Ubuntu 10.04 mahcine. Perhaps this is the issue then with multistrap?

I guess I'll try to build up the version from Debian unstable then.

~Jeff

Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:33 pm

I can't remember exactly what error message multistrap was giving me, but it was something along the lines of not being able to authenticate the packages.

I suspect you are getting the same error as I got. It's probably caused by having the Ubuntu version of the debian-archive-keyring package installed. In my case using Squeeze on AMD64, it was caused by a bug in multistrap preventing packages being authenticated when they were for a foreign architecture.

Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:45 pm

I've just installed debian armhf on an external USB disk to try it out. I followed this link :
http://wiki.debian.org/ArmHardFloatChroot

I then chrooted into it, compiled the trimslice kernel (instructions on the wiki), copied over boot.scr.
I then apt-get installed all the packages I needed, and compiled mythtv packages from http://www.debian-multimedia.org (using apt-get source -b). I had some trouble doing this, since 2 packages didn't compile ootb.

Long story short, I'm now running mythtv backend in debian armhf, with MUCH better performance than on the supplied ubuntu.
Before, the CPU load would be something around 90% for a full hd recording, now it's 25%. The web pages render alot faster as well.

I haven't tried compiling the hardfloat Xorg drivers yet, I'm running it headless. I only got some source rpm packages for meego, don't know how well they compile for debian.

Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:26 pm

Thanks for the heads up - does this work for squeeze as well or only sid?

~Jeff

Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:36 pm

Debian arm hardfloat only works for sid as of yet, since it needs a recent gcc compiler.
I can only recommend trying it out if you don't care about X. It gives an immense performance boost, at least for me.
I might try compiling the drivers from the source code in the meego src rpms later, but for now it lives its life as a mythtv backend/ webserver.

Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:07 pm

There are hard float drivers/libs available (inc X), but you must use the trimslice kernel

Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:45 pm

where can I download armhf driver for X

Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:47 am

I followed the instructions here
http://wiki.debian.org/TrimSlice
and copyed trimslice kernel and modules also.
I can boot successfully and apt-get gnome etc.

also I apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-tegra from trimslice (deb http://trimslice.com/download/ubuntu/natty binary/)
but just cannot startx and it give me the error

(II) LoadModule: "tegra"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/tegra_drv.so
dlopen: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/tegra_drv.so: undefined symbol: PictureScreenPrivateKeyRec
(EE) Failed to load /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/tegra_drv.so

where can I downlaod a xserver-xorg-video-tegra that works with debian squeeze?

Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:59 am
Reply to topic   [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next